Maybe I'm a Bobcat Whisperer (Vid)

Crimson Raptor

So I got a little tired of living vicariously through all you fellas who are still hunting and decided to go for a walk in the woods this morning.

I broke out of the house just about sunrise and drove out to one of three public natural areas near me that are surrounded by cattle country that I have been wanting to call for some time. I figure if I'm going to practice calling real wildlife, I'm not going to practice where I'll be calling "for real" in a few months. I wanted to practice my set-ups and calling as if I were there to take.

I brought along my new (used) FX5, my Mojo Critter, my Crit'R-Call Standard (old faithful), and a TC Custom Diaphragm 2 Reed Pup Howler.

This public area is pretty small - only about 6 miles of trails, but really typical of south central Florida. Basically a small wetland area with pine, palmettos, and marsh mixed in with some sand scrub. I really liked the fact it's surrounded by ranchland that is pretty rugged. We're not talking your flat, green pastures here.

There was only one other vehicle there and I determined which trail that person used and promptly walked to a trail going the opposite direction. Don't need any help messing up my stands if you know what I mean.

Within the first 5 minutes of making my way towards a promising location, I saw one otter and two deer and jumped a medium size hog which disappeared into the wet stuff. A good morning already. The only downside - no predator sign.

I made my way to the trail turn which is marsh on the inside - the public park side - and private ranch land on the outside. I could see an elevated hunting blind and two feeders on the ranch side and figured this was as good an area as any to get started.

Although I spent a bit of time with the FX5 in two promising spots, there were no takers except for one hawk who came in to take a look during cottontail distress. As I haven't picked up the "good" rechargeable batteries yet, I wore out the hodgepodge of AA's I had put in the FX5 when I received it and it was done for the morning.

The good news was that between stand 1 and stand 2, I found some fresh bobcat tracks. Things were looking up although the sun and temperature were going up fast and I knew my quality time was running out quickly.

I made my way to the next trail turn which ended up being a pretty large 3 way intersection that also contained a well used small game trail passing into the ranch under the cattle fence. I liked it!

I set up the Mojo Critter in the grass next to a small post so that it could be seen from 3 different directions, put my back up against a pine and broke out the Crit'R-Call.

I didn't really work too hard to conceal myself as there was no coyote sign to be found and you regulars already know how I feel about bobcat smarts. I broke out about 20 seconds of loud and frantic rabbit distress.

BAM!! That was all it took! I catch movement to my right down the trail I had just walked and the bobcat had just popped out onto the trail about 50 yards from where I now sat. I already had my cheap little digi cam out and turned it on.

The first minute or so is grainy and I apologize - I WILL have an HD camera before fall - but the video clears up real well as he walks within 3 yards of me. I make a point to pull back so you can see my feet and the Mojo Critter just to give you an idea how close we are.

Here's a vidcap:

5thBobcat.png

Here's the vid:

You can tell by the cat's body language that he is real uncomfortable with me there, but not smart enough to run away. I think it's a young tom, but it was hard to tell.

The regs know how much I talk about my Crit'R Call, but there is something about the sound that it makes that drives the bobcats nuts.

This is the 5th bobcat that I've called with the Crit'R Call since December. I wish that I could say that I'm a bobcat whisperer, but I have to give the call its due. I hope you like the vid and photo.

Raptor

To T.C. - I practiced barks and howls all the way to the park, Torry, but there was just no sign and it got real hot real fast this morning with rain on the way. I make a pretty good coyote if I do say so myself.
smile.gif

I'm going to be trying another place further out west that has 20 miles of trail in ranch country and I'm pretty confident there are some 'yotes out there that I can talk to. I'm ready when they are! Will keep you posted.

You're not kidding. I keep thinking about getting a varmint rifle, but why? Until I find a spot where I can see past 50 yards that isn't a trail where someone could pop out at any second, the shotgun is it.

Most of the public land WMAs are just as tight unless you're on a fire break or trail. And when you do find a glade or meadow, you can't get anything to walk into it - lol.

I have to admit, this place is not as pretty as most I go to, but it is covered up with animals.

Raptor

Neat video ya got there. The cat didn't quite know what the heck he was gonna do.

Hey, where could a guy buy a pair of those special cat stalkin boots you be a wearing?
smile.gif

Thanks, DC. LOL - as soon as I posted the video, I thought, "Awww, crap. DC is gonna crack on my shoes for sure!".

You never disappoint! That is a previous generation of Sketcher casual work shoe that I no longer wear for work, but are so broken in and so comfy that I couldn't throw them away. When I know I'm going to be on flat, dry land like today, that's what I wear. The soles are almost worn through - I'm guessing they have about 5-10 miles left on them - maybe - if I stay on grass.

Raptor

Neat video, CR! Thanks for sharin'. A lot of the country I hunt is just about as close as yours but no problems w/other folks walking up on me so still can't bring myself to switch to the shotgun.

By the way, I share your impression on bobcat's IQ FWIW
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

It is a neat video, thanks for sharing that. I love to watch those cats twitch that tail! Bobcats are special creatures, not the brightest in the predator world, but cool in their own ways just the same.

Thanks, HM/SHampton/GC.

I forgot to mention that part of the reason the forest looks so rough is that half of it was recently burned up. If I had taken video pointing behind my back instead of where I was looking, it would have been a bit more picturesque without charred and heat-damaged trees.
South Florida doesn't have hills or mountains, but it does have it's own beauty.

GC - bobcats are definitely cool animals. I really enjoy calling them in. Not as exciting as a giant mutant raccoon out for blood, of course,
scared.gif
but I don't know of a better looking animal in the forest that doesn't have wings.

Raptor

Man, I can't wait to see what kind of footage you're able to get once you get the HD. You're already laying down some dang good cat footage. I've enjoyed all your clips. Thanks for the update on the diaphragms too, glad to hear you're getting some good vocals out of em'! I bet it won't be long before we get to see some dead coyotes! Thanks for sharing & looking forward to more.--Torry

Originally Posted By: cookstaxiMan, I can't wait to see what kind of footage you're able to get once you get the HD. You're already laying down some dang good cat footage. I've enjoyed all your clips. Thanks for the update on the diaphragms too, glad to hear you're getting some good vocals out of em'! I bet it won't be long before we get to see some dead coyotes! Thanks for sharing & looking forward to more.--Torry

Kinda thinking the same thing. Those darn bobcat whisperers seem to be magnets for coyotes. Won't be long.
wink.gif

Thanks, guys, for all the kind comments.

Can't wait for that first coyote post myself. I've been just this close | |. It's going to happen this season, I just know it. You all will be the first to know.

Raptor

cool footage cr. So can you kill bobcats in Florida? My dad just moved to Miami, and i will be going to visit him sometime this year, maybe we can get together and do some calling.

Thanks again, guys.

Hey, Jesse. Bobcats are furbearer regulated down here and limited to December 1 - March 1 take - public and private. That's the best time of year to be down here anyway.

If you're on public land, certain WMAs allow bobcat harvest and some do not, so you have to keep an eye on that.

If you do get down to Florida during season, please shoot me a message ahead of time. We'll see if we can get together and do any damage. It would be nice to get another calling perspective. I'm the lone caller in my area which is good (very good) and yet bad as I have to figure it all out by myself in the wood and PM online! lol

Off-topic - Be warned - South Beach is NOT real life. I repeat, South Beach is NOT real life. You'll see what I mean the first time you plop down at a sidewalk cafe for an hour........or three. And it's okay if you bring the wife to watch the parade - there is plenty for her to see, too.
wink.gif

Raptor

Top clip. Well done.

Amazing what you learn watching animals and their behaviour well after when you would normally have taken the shot.

Back